Self leveling concrete is used to level a floor prior to the installation of tiles or interior floor coverings. Usually done during renovations or when floor coverings are changed. Self-leveling concrete can also be used as a wear surface. It can be colored and sealed to produce a polished concrete result.
This can be a DIY project. But you should take note that the self-leveling compound will set usually set within 20 minutes. Therefore if you are dealing with a larger area and you think it may cost you more time, it is advisable to have a partner to finish the job on time. The cost for self-leveling compound ranges from $1.00to $3.00 per square foot. Of course this will depend with how thick you want the self-leveling. Frequently it is applied from ¼ to 3/8th inch thick.
Steps to Install Self-leveling Concrete
- Clean the floor thoroughly by sweeping and vacuuming the floor. It is suggested to use a mechanical floor grinder or shot blaster to remove blemishes and open the pores of the concrete.
- Mix the concrete leveling compound with water. Pour water first into the bucket and then the self-leveling compound. Mix the compound and water using a paddle mixer to a smooth, milkshake consistency. Add more water move as soon as possible into the first application area.
- Pour the mixed concrete on the floor starting with the low spot. Spread the self-leveling concrete using a straightedge smoother with a back and forth motion. While compound begins to set trowel the edges until smooth.
- Repeat steps when necessary. Once done clean all the tools and materials used. This is for the reason that leveling compound begins to set in 20 minutes. Straightedge needs to be cleaned since it’s necessary to finish the remaining areas.
- You can use a four inch floor scraper to smooth out areas once the compound has set right before it cures.
Necessary Tools and Materials
- Shop vac
- 6 to 8 straightedge
- 5 gallon bucket
- Self-leveling compound
- Paddle mixer
- ½ inch drill
- 4 inch floor scraper
- Float trowel
Don’t forget about safety measures. Use safety goggles and a dust mask. Don’t forget to wear them.
Always keep in mind that self-leveling compound sets fast, usually within 20 minutes if the correct amount of water is used. To get more information about self-leveling installation you can call an expert or you can do research to compare cost and to know how to install Concrete Coatings properly.